This course is an introduction to the behavioral science of economics, which focuses on the aggregate behavior of households, firms and the government. Main topics covered gross domestic product, national income, government income accelerator, aggregate demand, economic growth, unemployment, inflation, the business cycle, fiscal policy and monetary policy, and international trade.
|Topics to be Covered|||||
|List of Topics|
Macroeconomics - Getting Started
- Measuring GDP and the circular flow of income.
Unemployment and Inflation
- Unemployment rate, types of unemployment, factors of unemployment
- The consumer price index, causes and cost of inflation.
Economic growth and government intervention
- Long-run economic growth, financial system, savings and investments, business cycle.
Output and expenditure in the short-run
- Aggregate expenditure model, determinants of components of aggregate expenditure, multiplier effect, aggregate demand curve.
|Aggregate demand and aggregate supply||2||6|
|Money, Banks and central bank||1||3|
|Unemployment and inflation topics on Monetary and Fiscal Policy.||2||6|
|Schedule of Assessment Tasks for Students During the Semester|||||||
| ||Assessment task (i.e., essay, test, quizzes, group project, examination, speech, oral presentation, etc.)||Week Due||Proportion of Total Assessment|
|1||In class Quizzes ||Week 5,12||10%|
|2||Group Project/Portfolio/Presentation /Participation||Ongoing, End of Semester||15% |
Blackboard exercises submission
|Ongoing, End of Semester||15%|
|4||Midterm||Week 9||20% |
|5||Final Exam ||End of Semester||40%|
1.List Required Textbooks
Hubbard, O'Brien, Eid, and El Anshasy (2011). Economics. Arab World Edition. Pearson, ISBN: 9781408255308
List Essential References Materials (Journals, Reports, etc.2
- N. G. Mankiw and M. H. Rashwan (2015). Principles of Economics, Second Arab World Edition. Cengage Learning. ISBN 978-1-4737-0484-8-
- Parkin, M. (2018). Macroeconomics. 12th Edition, Pearson Series in Economics.